Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 2: Sweet-and-Spicy Chicken

I realized after I published my post yesterday that I didn't say anything about what I eat. So here I go:

For breakfast, I tend to have the same thing. Two or three scrambled eggs, depending on my level of hunger, pico de gallo, and a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Yummy. Of course, I do waver occasionally and have some of the kids' cereal and on the same occasions as my children, cinnamon buns.

Lunch is different almost everyday. Most of the time I have leftovers from the previous nights' delicious meal. Other times I heat up some soup. Or make a sandwich. Or cook a Lean Cuisine. Like I said, it's always different.

For dinner, I eat whatever I cook for the whole family.

Snacks tend to be the same things. Either a piece of fruit or a granola bar. My favorite kinds of granola bars are the Oats and Honey by Nature Valley. Soy Joy bars are a close second, but they are spendy, so usually I only buy them if I have a BOGO free coupon.

So on to dinner from tonight. As per a request from one of my two faithful followers (thanks Amy!!!), I will now include a recipe and a picture each dinner that I cook. Pictures are a pain in the ass to get onto my netbook, so I will only get on once a week and then edit my previous postings to include the pictures. Anywho, for dinner tonight I made Sweet-and-Spicy Chicken, baked yams and rice. The recipe for the chicken is:

serves 6

1/2 bottle (8 oz) Italian salad dressing
1 can (12 oz) frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 large jalapeno pepper, minced
12 chicken thighs (4 oz each)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Blend salad dressing and pineapple juice concentrate in a large bowl. Add jalapenos; stir. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Arrange chicken thighs in bottom of dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of marinade over each thigh and turn to coat. Bake chicken for about 35 minutes, flipping once. Serve with remaining marinade.

It turned out so yummy!!! The only thing that I would change is that I would use the whole pepper next time. My dad and I love things pretty spicy and my kids aren't like their dad and a bunch of weenies when it comes to spicy stuff. (Did I just use "weenie" in a blog?) I could hardly taste the pepper. When I served it, I spooned a little of the marinade over my rice too. I definitely will make this again!!

On the menu for tomorrow night: Steak Fingers. Basically it's chicken fried steak, but cut into strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment