Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pork, Apple and Yam Packets

Its been way too long since I've posted anything. The last time was on my son's second birthday back in July. Now its almost time for my other son's birthday! I think my goal of posting every day was too lofty. I'm going to be more realistic and just post whenever I get the urge to. There have been some major changes in my life since I last posted. We have moved to Vancouver (yay!), Jeraby and I are back together (yay!), and I went back to school (yay!). Our relationship this time is different. We are now in an open relationship and are loving it! It has definitely brought us closer together, if you can wrap your head around that idea. I went back to Clark College in January to get my degrees in Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education. Anyone who has known me for a long time would never have guessed that I would be working to become a teacher. I didn't even think I would become a teacher! I should be done with my Associate of Arts transfer degree in the fall, and I will be starting at WSU Vancouver in the Spring. The transition back into school after 7 years has been much easier than I thought it would be. I also have started Weight Watchers in the last couple of months. I started on January 11th at a weight of 236.6 lbs and as of March 12th, I am now at 216.2 for a total loss of 20.4 lbs in just 7 weeks. My ultimate goal is 145, but if I can get to 165 by my birthday of August 12th, I will be extremely happy!

Now onto the focus of my blogs: food. I created this recipe myself a few years ago the first time I did Weight Watchers after having my oldest son, Aydan. You could change it up a bit and try different veggies, seasonings, etc to make it your own. Enjoy!

Pork, Apple and Yam packets
serves 4

1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat and sliced into thin rounds
2 large yams, peeled and sliced
3 apples (I use braeburns or similar) cored and sliced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pork into bowl and combine with vinegar, brown sugar, ginger and garlic and marinade at least 20 minutes. Cut 4 large pieces of aluminum foil. Divide apples, yams and pork evenly among foil. Drizzle with any remaining juices in bowl. Fold and seal packets tightly. Place on baking sheet and bake for 45 until pork is no longer pink. Enjoy!

Please note: 45 minutes will yield yams that are still a bit crisp. If you like them a bit softer, increase cooking time

No comments:

Post a Comment